Become Emotionally Intelligent
How to Increase EQ? How to manage your emotions?
Do emotions overwhelm you? Do you lose control and act irrationally? Emotion Management will be a game-changer in your life. This article will help you increase your Emotional Quotient (EQ).
What is Emotional Intelligence (EI)?
EI is the ability to understand, evaluate and control emotions.
Signs of Emotional Intelligence
· Thinking before Reacting: Logic over Emotions
· Greater Self Awareness: Understanding what you are feeling
· Empathy for others: Respond to others’ emotions
· Better Relationships: Form better connections with others
3 steps for Building EI
Emotional Intelligence is a learnable and improvable skill.3 steps to build it:
1. Understand the range of emotions
First step: Learning about the different emotions and their combinations
Basic Emotions— Happiness, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, Anger, and Surprise
All other emotions are a combination of these 6 emotions
For more information refer here
2. Perceiving Emotions
Acknowledging what you or someone is feeling. This is the ability to say — “I am feeling Sad”. This step is really power.
Saying — “I am feeling Angry because X did Y “ — will reduce your anger.
3. Managing emotions
Once you know what you are feeling. You can use tricks to control and even change our emotions.
· Use music — refer to this article
· Body language to Emotional response — For ex. If you smile you feel happy
· Breathing techniques — Give you more control over emotions
Emotional Intelligence is an important ability in the 21st century.
Emotional Intelligence consists of :
- Social awareness
- Relationship management
To build EQ — Listen, Empathize and Reflect